Friday, July 11, 2014

Commentary Blog - Textbooks That Know When You Read Them

I was reading this blog the other day and loved the concept for students and teachers. I may not have liked it when I was a student in high school or achieving my undergrad as I am not much of a reader but find this tool very useful for a handful of reasons.

You can read the blog here, http://www.coursehero.com/blog/2012/11/14/textbooks-that-know-you-didnt-read-them-wait-what/.

If this concept was implemented everywhere students would have more motivation to read the textbook and lessons that they are assigned. Knowing that their instructor would be able to see if they read or didn't read what they were supposed to could give them that jump start that they need. I know I feel like I would have been much more inclined to read if this was in use while I was a student. Of course, there would be ways around it so pop quizzes would still be a must!

As an instructor it would help me identify who actually read the text and is perhaps not understanding it as opposed to the student who just didn't read it and either said they did or just doesn't care. For me, I would be more inclined to give the attention to someone who is not comprehending the material as opposed to someone who doesn't put in the effort and time to do their assignments. When asking review questions on the assigned readings I can always use the "well it says you read this so why aren't you participating" statement to engage more participation.

Overall, I think this would be a great idea to use in all classrooms.  What do you think?


9 comments:

  1. Hi Dustin,
    Could you please check your link? I was unsuccessful in getting it to open.
    My school district has put off acquiring new textbooks for several years, thinking the first draft after adoption of the CCSS would really not be much different than previous editions. This year we finally agreed to make some purchases but teachers requested the traditional hardcopy format. Pursuing a degree in EdTech, I was hoping we would move toward a new platform but since we have no devices that would allow us access, it would mean a whole remodeling of our current system. I guess we are in the situation where we need to take a giant leap forward rather than a small step.
    What is your experience with digital textbooks? Does your district offer them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link works now. Sorry about that and thanks for pointing it out. The college does not offer them yet but I believe within this fiscal year it is something they are supposed to be taking a look at.

      Delete
  2. Dustin, This idea makes me a little uneasy. I'm not too comfortable with a pedagogy of fear, the idea that you better do this reading or else. I also try to promote student ownership, if they only put so much effort into the course, that is their choice. Finally, I think a large number of students fall into the category that you speak of, perhaps they did the reading but they have difficulty comprehending the text without support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, and if you have a way to see that they did the reading you know they are trying so when you help them out on an individualized level you wouldn't feel like you were doing the work for them.

      Delete
  3. I can see the importance of this from an educators standpoint, but like you I would've hated this as a student. I am not one that can just read anything. I have to have an interest of some kind or else I am just reading words and struggle comprehending what I am reading. I have always hated reading because of it. I remember trying to read something and couldn't grasp it for the life of me so my mom read it out loud to me and then explained each paragraph or section to me. I have always dreaded reading assignments or quizzes on readings because of it. I get where you are coming from, but I sympathize with the students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can definitely be a positive thing if used the right way. Maybe I came off a little demanding with the concept but it can help the students as well.

      Delete
  4. Hi Dustin:

    I think it is an interesting idea and one that maybe didn't need to be used all the time. For things that are super important and are required reading it would work well. Of course we want students to want to read the text and items we send there way but sometimes they need a little extra motivation and I don't have a problem with helping them get started in this way once and awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is good to stress the important objectives of the text so you are correct. Maybe not use it all of the time but I think sometimes you can't emphasize certain things enough.

      Delete
  5. Wow. I was not a textbook reader in high school. I'm not proud of this, but it's true. I wasn't much of a reader until I was in my 30's. I think if the reading amount was realistic, it wouldn't be a turn-of. What would be their be punishment? What if a student just missed one night?

    I personally don't like it. Too much spying for me. Too much big brother. It makes us "overly" accountable. What if I missed a reading now? I don't like the idea of being watched and judged for everything (for the record, I ate a bunch of chocolate today...and a green smoothie for breakfast....lol).

    Funny story: in senior year of high school I shared lockers with about 5 different friends so I wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings. I also had a tough time remembering where I kept my textbooks because I was also a little absent minded. I guess actually storing something in each locker meant that I was really "true to my word." Anyway, I would forget my french text book every day. I had the notebook with the homework (most of the time) but no textbook (I didn't keep them together for the most part. I know. I know). Anyway, the teacher decided to "threaten" to take points off my grade if I forgot the book. And, I still could not get it together! I would participate (luckily the French stuck with my brain...lol) but could not remember that book (I do remember it was purple!!!). So, this concept of tracking student reading may not work. C'est la vie :-) Au revior.

    ReplyDelete